ATV Part 2 Project 2 Exercise 2.3

Exercise 2.3 Drawing with stitch onto paper


This is the origami crumpling piece which I decided to overstitch the edges to highlight and enhance it’s floral appearance. My drawings of the roses used long strokes to bring out the colours within the rose and I used some long stitches working from the inner folds to the top to try to recreate this I finished with some knotting inside the folds. I had to be very careful not to tear the paper and try not to pierce it to close to the nearest hole. Overall I think this worked well although if I was using this method again I would start using a different colour of tissue paper as it’s pretty unusual to see a green flower!

I used a long stitch in white wool to highlight these sections of this tessellated paper. I wanted to produce even lines that enhance its shape. I considered stitching other sections with black wool but decided on this occasion to keep it simple.

I took a piece of the card I had scrubbed the surface of and using gold embroidery thread I stitched some of the detail on the button. I used varying thickness to show areas where my lines were heavier and lighter.



Here I took crumpled tracing paper and stitched an outline of the leaf shape and some of the vein markings. I had to stitch carefully as the tissue paper is transparent and the back stitches needed to follow the same lines as the front. The paper was very fragile so I created holes with a needle first before sewing.

Here I looked back on my drawings of the mended areas of the shawl. The mending was very haphazard and jumbled. I had this great wool in the cupboard which had pieces of long and short fuzzy pieces in it. I decided to use it to lace a couple of the pieces of punched tracing paper together. 

This is one of my experiments using bark. I decided to highlight some of the natural markings within the bark much like I had with the crumpled tissue paper. Using shiny embroidery thread in colours mimicing the bark I hoped to stitch highlights into the areas of interest. This gave me a couple of issues as the bark splits easily giving horizontal tears. I held the bark in layers by using webbed tape that you generally use for plastering walls. It was quite useful as it gave a surface much like a cross stitch fabric would and helped to hold the stitches.


This piece was folded tissue layered with tracing paper and trying thin and layered stitching. I had been looking at the drawing of the detail and some of the areas have almost dotted or dashed lines where they are very fine and some of the floral shapes are very bold and dark which I tried to show by using a thicker long stitch to colour the area in. This is my sketchbook drawing prior to trying this.


I think this would have been more successful on fabric. The paper breaks down when you add to much stitching.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s